Picking up those brushes again.

Hi and welcome to the occasional mutterings of Dave Doc, a military modeller and some time gamer. Gaming and model making has given me a real education, History & Geography(obvious really), Artistry, Politics, Economics, Logistics, Project Management -you try building miniature armies without the last 3.

I will use the blog to record my creations & the odd occasion I actually do some gaming.

I have always been inspired by the aesthetic side of gaming. Playing on well constructed terrain using excellently painted units is always a joy.

Saturday 18 February 2012

A couple of specials

Cleared the painting table ready for new projects. A rare (for me) Perry Napoleonic commander Colbert commander of the Dutch Lancers 1815. I had to tweak the figure, it had a lot of flash and cast lines,also  doing some proper cords and rackets for the Czapka, as the moulded ones are stuck down his neck - as if given his pose. Also replaced the sword with something somewhat less chunky - a curved  flattened steel pin, The casualty figure is a Front Rank one , with separate musket  again FR. I also had a play with the Silfur tufts adding a little PVA to the end of some and dusting in fine sand, and colouring for flower or weeds.



 Also completed the casualty eagle bearer for the Mamalukes.

 So that is the painting table completely empty for now, work on preparing a big batch of  the Mahdist forces commences next week, as well as a pile of horses for up upcoming cavalry units.

11 comments:

  1. Stunning brushwork on both, but my favorite is the lancer. Wow!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic work on both of these beauties! Love them! Best, Dean

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Dave,
    They really are special.
    Colbert is my favourite and is a character I have in my mind for a conversion in 15mm at some point.

    I wish I could say that my painting table is clear ;0)
    Cheers
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A rare occurance for us lead heads i know!

      Delete
  4. It has to be the casualty eagle bearer for me and the horse flesh is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My personal favourite too.. i am perfecting the dun and roan colours well at the moment - i feel a blog update coming on

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work Dave. Nice basing too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are both awesome painted. Good attention for the small details, very colourfull and nicely based!

    Greetings
    Peter
    http://peterscave.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like the Perry miniatures, but have issues with them being of a low casting-quality compared to others. What you did with Colbert however is as tremendous as one would expect from you.

    The Mameluk Eagle-bearer is the cherry on top of the group you've recently painted.

    Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree re the Perry casting quality totally - I would have hated to do a whole unit like that. I am not completely sold on the poses either - but thats a different matter!

      Delete